Community:

The Mean Streets of Lowell

When I was ready for my first European adventure, I was a little intimidated by the idea of driving a rental car across much of the continent. I confessed my fears to a well-traveled friend who had once lived in New York City and California. He had no sympathy. “You grew up driving in Massachusetts,”… Read More

Digital Manager

The Disappearance and Re-creation of Haverhill’s Christmas Bell

From 1949 to the early 1980s, the arrival of a huge Christmas bell was a clear signal to Haverhill’s citizens that the holiday season was on its way. The bell, with lights strung all around it, hung above the plaza in Washington Square. Built by a metal fabrication instructor at Whittier Regional Vocational Technical High… Read More

Joseph Girard-Meli

Consider the Cheese

As an undergraduate, I was fortunate enough to spend a semester in the town of Tours, France. Until then, I had never eaten what I came to think of as “real” cheese. As the best cheeses are produced by patient labor and enjoyed in relaxed style, Tours was the perfect place in which to learn… Read More

Doug Sparks

Eight Great Things To Do This Weekend – 12/1/2016

ONE: The Santaland Diaries, a hilarious holiday-themed one-man show written by David Sedaris, will run this Friday and Saturday, plus next Friday and Saturday, at Rogers Center for the Arts, 7:30 p.m. Telling the tale of an aspiring TV writer who takes a job as a department store elf, this crass and subversive comedy offers a different… Read More

Joseph Girard-Meli
1 82 83 84 85 86 113