Wellness Wednesday – 7/22/20
WELLNESS TIP OF THE WEEK
Return To Wellness With ME, A Commitment To Health
We know you’re feeling the effects of stress now more than ever, which means it’s even more important to make sure you feel safe and comfortable once you’re back receiving your massage and skin care services. Your care is our highest priority.
Massage Envy has engaged outside experts at CETH – leaders in their field – to conduct a deep, holistic review of our brand standards targeted at sanitation and infection prevention and control. CTEH is a scientific consulting firm that specializes in environmental health and provides advice based on reliable science to safeguard individuals and communities.
Through that collaboration, we have further strengthened key policies. Among those updated policies are mandatory cleaning and disinfection protocols (including for treatment rooms and equipment used in services), proper hand hygiene protocols, and requirements related to the use of personal protective equipment. Here is what to expect.
- All of our employees have completed training in infection control and prevention.
- All employees, members and guests are required to wear face coverings. And service providers are required to have a fresh clean mask change before servicing each member and guest.
- All employees are prescreened every day and before beginning work to protect our members, guests and staff.
- All members and guests are prescreened upon entering the clinic before each service to protect our members, guests and staff.
- Ensure that 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer is available in all treatment rooms and other key locations for use by all employees, members and guests.
- All surfaces are disinfected that may have been touched or handled during a service with products registered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for Use Against Emerging Enveloped Viral Pathogens.
- All equipment and tools are disinfected per the manufacturer’s instructions. And all of our employees practice good hand hygiene, including regularly washing their hands with warm water for at least 20 seconds, including before and after touching members and guests.
We want every member and guest to feel confident that our Massage Envy location is taking important and tangible measures to promote safety.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
WELLNESS AROUND THE WEB
Friendliest, Not Fittest, Could Be Key To Evolutionary Survival
Scientists Brian Hare and Vanessa Woods, both researchers at Duke University’s Center for Cognitive Neuroscience, argue that friendly partnerships among species ensure successful evolution. These elements of cooperation and sociability may even be more significant to the continuation of a species that one’s brute strength.
Their new book, “Survival of the Friendliest: Understanding Our Origins and Rediscovering Our Common Humanity,” posits that friendly partnerships among species have worked throughout centuries to ensure successful evolution. Species endure — humans, other animals and plants — they write, based on friendliness, partnership and communication.
Hare founded the Duke Canine Cognition Center, and the two studied bonobos, apes that are often confused with chimpanzees. But bonobos actually are quite different from chimps.
Chimps make war, and the result often leads to chimps killing one another. Bonobos, on the other hand, don’t kill one another and engage in sex to maintain a peaceful collective temperament. Bonobos also are natural sharers. They enjoy sharing food with other bonobos, and never outgrow their willingness to do so, unlike chimpanzees, who become more selfish in adulthood.
“The friendliest male bonobo is more successful than the unfriendliest chimpanzee,” Hare says, referring to reproduction. “The most successful bonobo males have more offspring that the most successful alpha male chimpanzees.”
Unlike the United States, More Countries Are Making Masks Mandatory
As countries around the world reopen their economies amid ongoing COVID-19 outbreaks, governments are increasingly embracing what remains in some places a divisive public health measure: mandatory masks.
In France, face coverings will soon be required in all public enclosed spaces. England is set to begin enforcing new rules that make masks mandatory inside supermarkets and other shops this week.
A country’s caseload and mortality rate are determined by a variety of factors, but health researchers say more evidence is emerging to support what some policymakers and experts have maintained all along: masks work.
In the United States, COVID-19 cases are surging in many states, and messaging about the effectiveness and necessity of masks has been inconsistent.
But at the state level, a growing number of mask requirements have come into force. Last week, Robert Redfield, the director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said that the country’s outbreak could be controlled within four to eight weeks if everyone wore masks.
In the United States, masks have been the subject of political discord over the course of the pandemic, but health officials have for months urged people to wear them in public spaces where they can’t keep distance from others.